Positioned south associated with the Alfeios Plain and southwest associated with homonymous town that is contemporary the Elis Prefecture, ancient Alipheira ended up being an essential acropolis of Arcadian Kynouria (or Kynouraia). Its perhaps name that is prehellenic pertaining to Alipheros, the town’s mythical creator, one of Lykaon’s fifty sons. The city’s surviving architectural remains date from the belated Archaic to Roman period, but evidence that is archaeological that the city thrived in the Classical and Hellenistic durations. Alipheira is mentioned by Polybius (VI.78) and Pausanias (VIII.26.5-7).
Alipheira’s acropolis occupies the top of a mountain chain. Its many monuments that are crucial the temples of Athena and Asklepios, that are also mentioned by Pausanias. No traces of prehistoric habitation had been identified, and also the portable that is earliest finds date from the Geometric period. Both the city therefore the sanctuary of Athena had been probably already established by the sixth or hundreds of years which are fifth. The sanctuary of Asklepios ended up being established into the west area of the town that is fortified the fourth century BC. After the defeat regarding the Lacedaemonians at Leuktra in 371 BC, Alipheira probably joined up with the Arcadian Koinon and took part in the synoikismos of Megalopolis; this resulted in a decrease in its populace.
The construction of magnificent tombs within the century that is 3rd indicates that Alipheira flourished during this period. The town remained under Megalopolis until 244 BC, when it was ceded to Elis. It had been conquered and besieged by King Philip V of Macedon through the Inter-Ally War (219 BC), and ended up being annexed once again by Megalopolis in 207. In 191 BC, Alipheira joined the Achaian League and later minted its coinage. In the period that is roman it had been area of the great Roman province of Achaia.
The town ended up being abandoned into the Early Christian period. The chapel that is single-naved of Helen was later erected on the pronaos associated with the temple of Athena, and a cross-vaulted church of Saint Nicholas ended up being built on the north side of the hill in the Ottoman period. Early travellers, such as for instance William Leake, John Anthony Cramer, Ludwig Ross, and Ernst Curtius, identified the acropolis being fortified ancient Alipheira.
The city was excavated by Anastasios Orlandos in 1932-1933. Archaeological research has produced interesting stays which can be architectural an abundance of portable discovers.